Sunday, March 29, 2015

How do YOU carve out the time to write?


Here's a great  post from fellow-writer Elizabeth Inglee-Richards on that topic.


I love Elizabeth's work, bold and quirky urban fantasy.  Her straightforward, deceptively simple style can convince you that nothing is more likely or natural than a pro hockey team composed of were-hyenas.

Yes, you read that right.  Pro hockey.  Were-hyenas.  They're called Bouda. You know you want to read more. Here's one. of her tales


Me, I'm lucky in that my job outside the home has a lot of down-time. I am not just permitted I'm encouraged to bring my laptop and write.  Apart from that, I find it helpful to get out to a cafe to work, because I am far too much of a hippie housewife, and if I stay home I'm too likely to get caught up in making soup or hanging laundry outside, or cutting up ordinary ladies' blouses from the thrift store and making them into peculiar but comfortable tunics along the lines of an Indian kameez.  Never mind.  You don't really want to know.

But even though I have a lot of time to write in theory I am naturally a disorganized person, and I do not make the most of what I have.  Elizabeth's hints are very simple, very practical, very do-able.

I love the last one; I think it's something we all need to remember:

6) don’t beat yourself up: we are all human and life likes to laugh at us. If you can’t get to your computer (or you sit there and you don’t get your five words down) let it go. You can’t control the past, you can only control the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment